Rapid – Features
An innovative feature of the RAPID is its tough, handmade steel frame. Our frame is incredibly robust, being a composite of triangular reinforcement which allows for a stable and safe ride, even at high speeds. A loyal companion for decades to come, this steel frame remains firm and secure while front shocks cushion bumps and jumps in your path.
Furthermore, our RAPID has been put to the test in various international cargo bike races, and the refined steel of the RAPID allows for superior handling in comparison to other Long John varieties.
- Steel is tough! Our frame promises incredible yield strength with a significant level of elasticity. It is one for the keeping.
- The strength of our steel frame permits thinner wall thickness, producing an equally light or even lighter mainframe than those made of aluminium.
- Our steel frame has a considerable load-bearing capacity, making stress fractures less frequent than in aluminium builds.
- A steel frame is less rigid than aluminium, and thus rides more comfortably. This is especially notable during long trips over asphalt.
Forget about shoddy gears that hop and catch, or that jangling derailleur. The revolutionary NuVinci Optimized hub with continuous shifting makes for a relaxed and smooth ride. Give it a go!
NuVinci technology means less focus on shifting gears and more focus on the important stuff, such as: oncoming traffic, streetside curbs, passengers and pedestrians, or the splendid landscape.
Special-made for our cargo bike, the new N380 series gear hub is more robust and durable than previous Nuvinci hubs.
The Nuvinci hub makes carrying any load on our RAPID a piece of cake.
Long and burdensome journeys can wear you out. Thanks to our front-wheel motor, centered on a 20" tire, you get the torque you need to climb mountains. We have deliberately foregone installing a crank torque sensor in an effort to let you decide how much support you recieve – and how much you want to sweat – during your ride. Indeed, you decide how much this motor works by adjusting the throttle grip.
- The front-wheel motor makes the RAPID a fully electric bike with additional room for NuVinci and Rohloff gear hubs.
- An additional advantage of the front-wheel motor is the minimal wearing of the gearing mechanism and subsequently minimized repair costs.
- Middle motors require that the entire gear mechanism be changed more often because of the double burden of both rider and motor on the posterior drive chain.
- Our motor on the 20" front wheel churns with greater torque than otherwise possible on the 26" posterior tire.
The Foxbelt is the new muscle of your cargo bike! Jangling chains are a thing of the past. This weather-resistant, flexible belt drive does not rust, nor does it require oiling, keeping your pants clean and your maintenance costs low. A low-friction surface maximizes energy output, immediately transferring your input torque to velocity on the street -- especially helpful on the long hauls.
We specially developed the RAPID fork for increased carrying capacity compared to other 20" forks.
We do not use any old fork for our bikes. Our fork design allows for heavier loads, including an increased point load. This technical advantage further increases rider safety. Additionally, a tapered column permits easy and stable steering at high speeds.
XL Loading area
Radkutsche cargo bikes set the standard with their loading areas. While the Musketier, the big brother of the RAPID, offers an area of one Euro-pallet (120x80x15 cm) and a carrying capacity of 300kg, the RAPID offers a quicker, more flexible alternative. Given its loading area of one half a Euro-pallet and a maximum carrying capacity of 200kg, you can use your RAPID to transport practically anything. Discover the many customization options for your RAPID with our Customizer.
Rapid – Technical Data
- Frame Robust, hand-welded steel frame
- Fork Heavy-duty, tapered fork with torque support
- Hub NuVinci automatic continuously variable shifting system
- Seat/Handles Selle Royal Becoz series from eco-friendly materials
- Weight 32kg (70lb.)
- Load capacity Up to 200kg (440lb.)
- Motor Brushless hub motor with epicyclic gear train
- Output 250W (nominal), pedelec
- Max speed >25km/h (>15mph) with governor
- Battery Lithium ion manganese with 10, 15 oder 23 Ah
- Charge Up to 200km, or 440 miles (depending on capacity, rider, cargo load, topography and additional support)
- Size Length: 2690mm (105.90 in), Width: 500mm (19.70 in.)
- Cargo area Length:820mm (32.30 in.), Width: 500-700mm (19.70 - 27.6 in.)
Rapid – Boxes
Cargo- and Family bin
The secure family bin was developed to transport children, and the resistant aluminum frame further protects your little ones. Front and back seats can be built into the bin, seating altogether two children and a babyseat. Produced by Maxi-Cosi, Peg-Pérego and Yepp, these attachments can be attached securely and without problems. Especially interesting is the Peg-Pérego attachment, which is easily mounted with two horizontal metal rods.
With a 350-liter capacity, this box is the biggest any Long John cargo bike has seen. It offers tons of space for craftsmen or delivery services.
With one easy pull foward, the lid slides open like a drawer. With a fine wooden board you can also make the Messenger-Box into a counter to serve delicious ice cream or cups of coffee.
The flat version of our cargo bin is the cargo platform. With the platform you have the option to secure your load on all sides with tension belts, allowing you to move serious weight from A to B.
The multifunctional Zarges Box is available for your RAPID. You can even lock up your Zarges Box without a key! Two versions exist: one with a completely removable lid, and one which opens and closes on a hinge.